TThe living history of the WEINROMANTIKHOTEL RICHTERSHOF

The producing of wine in in the old wine cellars continued into 2001, the year in which the traditional winery was turned into a symbiosis of former winery and hotel: the Weinromantikhotel Richtershof.

In 2000, Jutta and Manfred Preuß were house hunting in the Moselle valley for a little winery for their family and discovered the stately home with its historic set of buildings from the Baroque, the Wilhelminian era and the art noveau period.

The idea of implementing a hotel of a special kind fascinated the Preuß family so much that they decided to acquire the property. To great success: through the skillful combination of historic and modern elements, a unique atmosphere was created in which the history of the former winery is omnipresent.

Weingut Richtershof 1680 Zeichnung

1680: the Founding of the winery RICHTERSHOF

The origin of the Weinromantikhotel Richtershof dates back to 1680 when Hans Adam Nießen founded a wholesale grocery in Mülheim and a few years later a wine wholesale.
The family bought and sold wine, trading the grape juice for colonial goods like spices and leather which were then sold to merchants traveling through. Thus, in 1809, the Nießen family built a grocers shop next to the original company building. Today this building is home to the restaurant Culinarium R. In 1846, Anna Nießen married into the Richter family.

Besides, Franz Ludwig Nießen played an important part in the history of Mülheim and the County of Veldenz. In October 1813, Napoleon was retreating from the lost battle of Leipzig and set up camp near Mülheim. Legend has it that during this time he spent the nights at the Richtershof.

Weingut Richtershof Weinreben

His soldiers spent the evening in the wine cellars drinking young must and wine. One of them tried to rape a vintner’s wife and was struck dead by the husband who disappeared after the murder. Napoleon called on the inhabitants to turn the vintner in, otherwise he would burn Mülheim down. However, nobody wanted to give the man away. To save Mülheim from the imminent pillage, Franz Ludwig Nießen pleaded with Napoleon and offered him 3,000 gold thalers out of his own pocket. Napoleon accepted the offer.

The ELISENBERG aND the RICHTERSHOF

To express their gratitude, the community gave the Nießen family a hillside overgrown with low height oak shrubs. Franz Ludwig Nießen had the ground cleared and planted a vineyard. He named it Louisenweinberg after the late queen Louise of Prussia who had died in 1807. In colloquial speech it was soon called Elisenberg, one of today‘s 4 local vineyard sites.

Zeichnung Weinromantikhotel Richtershof Innenhof

From a winery to the 4-STaR-SUPERIOR WEINROMANTIKHOTEL RICHTERSHOF

In 1881, Ferdinand Richter divided the estate between his sons. Ludwig Louis Richter received the original company builing and focused on wine-growing and wine –trading. He expanded the vaulted cellars, dating back to 1640, and built an art nouveau wine press house where today’s hotel guests can enjoy the Richtershof-champagne-breakfast buffet in the Wintergarten Baldachin. In 1895, a ballroom was built for the weddings of his 5 daughters. Since 2001, it is used as an exclusive banquet hall.

The Preuß family successfully merged modernity and history by the delicate restauration ot the set of buildings, the individually fitted and tastefully decorated rooms and the numerous events relating to the topic of wine, e.g. wine tastings in the historic vaulted cellar dating back to 1680. If all this has aroused your curiosity, then please enjoy the special atmosphere of the Weinromantikhotel Richtershof - your hotel on the Moselle.